2050 will be a common year starting on Saturday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2050th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 50th year of the 3rd millennium, the 50th year of the 21st century, and the 1st year of the 2050s decade.
- In July 2008, the G8 agreed to halve global greenhouse gas emissions by 2050.
- In November 2006, Achim Steiner, executive director of the United Nations Environment Program, “warned of a global collapse of all species being fished, if fishing continues at its current pace.”
- In March 2006, Professor Gerry Gilmore predicted that ground-based astronomy would become impossible by this year because of pollution from aircraft exhaust trails and climate change.
- By 2050, the price of PEM fuel cell is as low as 100 Euro/KWH compared to the present value of 8000 Euro/KWH. This is because most cars work on fuel cell technology and Hydrogen gas.
- Arnulf Jaeger-Walden of the European commission’s Institute for Energy believes that solar power from North Africa can provide 100 GW to the entire continent of Europe.